25. Laugh & Play in Central Park – There is never a dull moment in Lakeside’s Central Park. Watch your children smile at Grindley Playground, spend an afternoon on miniature golf course, learn to play shuffleboard, compete in a sand volleyball match, dribble down the basketball courts, plan a picnic in the park or take a stroll along Ohio’s Most Beautiful Mile. The possibilities are endless.
24. Become a Dock Potato & Enjoy the Sunshine – Whether you want to take a walk on Lakeside Chautauqua’s 700-foot dock or pick a spot to curl up and read a good book… becoming a Lakeside “Dock Potato” is a must for enjoying the sunshine on a warm summer day.
23. Reflect & Renew at Chautauqua Park – As one of the newest additions to the Lakeside grounds, Chautauqua Park offers guests of all ages the opportunity to reflect and renew at the memorial garden, while enjoying the beauty of nature on the Nature/Walking Trail.
22. Eat Healthy at the Farmers’ Market – Every Tuesday and Friday from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. you’re invited to the Farmers’ Market, located on Walnut Avenue between Second and Third Street. Bite into some delicious homemade pies and dips or shop for fresh fruits and vegetables for tonight’s dinner.
21. Play Tennis on the Clay Courts – If you’re an avid tennis player, you need to pay a visit to the Williams Tennis Campus. It’s home to 10 courts of 3 uniquely different surfaces—3 fast drying HarTru courts, 2 natural clay courts and 2 hard courts. Take lessons, join a round robin or join us for donuts in the morning.
20. Give Back – The signature Chautauqua experience, beautiful grounds and historic preservation of Lakeside’s many structures are made possible through the philanthropic support and volunteer hours at events from generous Lakeside families, friends and corporations year in and year out… Will you give back this year?
19. Get a Taste of Lakeside – Did you know there are 8 different restaurants in Lakeside? Take a stroll through Lakeside’s Downtown Business District to see what tingles your taste buds.
“Aside from designing the shows at Hoover, I’m looking forward to Coffee & Cream opening so I can sit in a rocking chair with an iced tea on my days off.”
– Meredith Francsis, Hoover Auditorium Lighting Design Crew Member
18. Walk Ohio’s Most Beautiful Mile – Get up and get active while enjoying some time by Lake Erie along Ohio’s Most Beautiful Mile. It’s the perfect place to enjoy a morning run, snap a few photos of blooming flowers and the neighboring islands, catch up with Lakeside friends, or relax on a bench and watch the sunset with family.
17. Test Your Sea Legs – Rent a kayak, paddle board or sailboat to sail the open Lake Erie waters and enjoy the shoreline from a new perspective. Whether sailing on your own or paddling with a partner, boat rentals and sailing lessons offer a unique water experience for anyone. Don’t forget your life jacket!
16. Let Your Children’s Imagination Run Free – Lakeside is a place for guests of all ages, especially for kids. Spend an afternoon taking a Rhein Center class, sign-up for a sailing lesson, play a family-friendly game of tennis or shuffleboard, have a picnic in Perry Park, watch a different Hoover show every night of the week or just enjoy eating lots of ice cream.
“I am looking forward to seeing the expressions on my girls’ faces when they experience something they only get to do at Lakeside (i.e. Hoover performances, sailing, Rhein Center classes).” – Jeanne Mauriocourt, Director of Educational Programming
15. Go Wild at Wednesday Family Picnics – Every Wednesday evening during the summer, Perry Park is the place to be. Join fellow Lakesiders for fellowship, games, music and an evening picnic. Enjoy all this for the suggested donation of $3 towards Lakeside Chautauqua’s Religious Life Department.
14. Buy Souvenirs to Remember Your Family Vacation – Bring home a piece of Lakeside with souvenirs such as T-shirts, hats, picture frames, Lakeside signs and more when you shop at any one of Lakeside’s Downtown Business District’s 12 shops.
13. Compete in a Shuffleboard Tournament – Throughout the summer season, the Lakeside Shuffleboard Courts host approximately 13 tournaments. Lakesiders of all ages are invited to participate in 1 or several tournaments this summer, and show off your shuffleboard talents.
12. Indulge in Lots of Ice Cream – Did you know there are several different spots around Lakeside to indulge your sweet tooth? Stop by Coffee & Cream for a delicious soft serve ice cream cone. Jump in line at The Patio Restaurant to get a taste of some Toft’s Ice Cream, a local favorite. Head on down to the Whistle Stop for a big scoop of some classic ice cream flavors. Pay a visit to Ooh La La! for an exotic bite of gelato.
11. Attend a Special Community Event – Explore Lakeside’s Calendar of Events Brochure to plan a trip to some of our exciting annual events, including the Lakeside Photography Show, the Katharine C. Crampton Memorial Art Show, the Light Up Lakeside Celebration or the Lakeside Wooden Boat Show & Plein Air Art Festival and many more!
10. Enlighten the Mind – Throughout the 10-week Chautauqua season, Lakesiders (like you) are invited to attend more than 100 different lectures covering 16 various topics, including All Things Americana, South America, Technology Today, Seeking Peace in a Multi-Faith World, Health & Medicine, Annual Civil War Week and more. They are all a part of our Chautauqua Lecture Series.
9. Capture Precise Memories – Everyone has a Lakeside story, and no 2 stories are alike. Year after year, summer after summer, countless families spend time dipping their toes into all Lakeside Chautauqua has to offer, while creating memories that last a lifetime. What’s your Lakeside Story?
“This summer at Lakeside, I am looking forward to attending programs at Hoover Auditorium, making arts & crafts and having my family visit for a week in July.”
– Sarah Milheim, Advancement & Communications Coordinator
8. Cool Off at the Splash Park – If you’re a kid, ages 2-10, put on your swimsuit, grab a towel and head down to Lakeside’s Splash Park. It’s the perfect place for the kids to laugh and play together on a hot summer afternoon.
7. Unleash You Creativity at the Rhein Center – The C. Kirk Rhein, Jr., Center for the Living Arts provides classes in fine arts, practical arts and creative crafts for students of all ages. Each week, a unique combination of classes and volunteer instructors provide enrichment in areas such as glass, pottery, literature, dance, painting, music, photography, fiber arts, paper crafts, and of course, rock painting.
6. Embrace Your Faith – Whether you’re looking forward listening to the Chaplain of the Week, attending any of our 4 Sunday worship services, taking part in Evening Prayer & Praise, visiting with others during Chaplain’s Hour or inviting your children to participate in children’s ministries, Lakeside offers so many opportunities for you to embrace your faith this summer.
5. Let Loose at a Hoover Auditorium Show – During the summer season, the Hoover Auditorium stage lights up with performers from different genres of music, theatre, dance, magic, acting and more. Which Hoover performance are you looking forward to this summer?
“I am most looking forward to seeing familiar faces return to Lakeside and watching them enjoy all the programs scheduled for this season.” – Shirley Stary, Vice President of Programming
4. Witness a Lakeside Sunrise & Sunset – If you haven’t had the opportunity to sit, relax and enjoy watching the sun rise or set over the dock… this summer is the time to do it. It showcases the most dramatic view of Lake Erie where water, islands, skies and stars collide in a masterpiece of nature. You really have to see it to believe it.
3. Relax & Reconnect – How do you relax and reconnect? Whether you sit on your favorite bench and drink your morning coffee, go for a morning run along the lakefront path, take a Rhein Center class with your grandchildren, participate in a lecture or attend the Hoover Community Worship Service as a family every Sunday morning… Lakeside offers each of you the chance to relax and reconnect.
”This summer, I am looking forward to the walks along the lakefront to unwind and connect with family and friends.” – Jessica Kidd, Advancement Manager
2. Explore our Chautauqua Community – This summer, let Lakeside Chautauqua be your home away from home. Bring your family and rent a cottage for the week; spend some time relaxing on the dock; walk along Ohio’s Most Beautiful Mile; attend a lecture; sing along at a Hoover show; or reflect at The Memorial Garden at Chautauqua Park. Where will you spend the summer exploring?
1. Share Lakeside with Family & Friends – Is this your first time to Lakeside or does your family come back year after year? No matter what your Lakeside story is, we love to hear it… and so do others. Share your summer memories with family, friends, co-workers and Lakesiders. After all, that’s the best way to help others families and groups have a summer like yours.
Now, it’s your turn to join The Front Porch conversation! What Lakeside events or traditions would make your top 25 list? What are you looking forward to most at Lakeside this summer? What part of your Lakeside experience will you pass along to family and friends? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.