Staff Blogger: Melissa Kunz, Content Manager
Even though the summer has come and gone, Lakeside Chautauqua is still bustling. In the off-season, from early-September to late-May, Lakeside offers many events and activities across the campus, even though most of the shops, restaurants, services and bed & breakfasts/guest houses have closed until next summer.
Updates for the Off-Season:
- Gates: During the off-season, a Chautauqua Pass is not required to enter the grounds of Lakeside. The Lakeside gates are only in operation over Memorial Day weekend and from mid-June through Labor Day. All are welcome to explore Lakeside at their leisure during the fall, winter and spring months. Please note that most of the gates close at approximately 8 p.m. and open at approximately 6 a.m. during the off-season, however the Fifth Street Gate is accessible 24 hours per day.
- Parking: Lakeside offers limited parking to its guests and residents year-round. During the off-season, guests are invited to park at one of Lakeside’s various parking lots, including the South Gate, near the Lakeside Schoolhouse, near Bradley Temple, the Fountain Inn and Hotel Lakeside, as well as along each street that does not have designated parking. During the off-season, an Auto Pass is not required to enter the grounds of Lakeside.
- Recreation Activities: Recreational activities, including shuffleboard, miniature golf, tennis and the supervised playground, are available to Lakesiders during the Chautauqua summer season only. These activities are not available during the off-season.
- Waterfront Activities: The Lakeside waterfront is in full swing every summer season, offering sailing lessons, kayak and sailboat rentals, swimming, standup paddle boarding, Children’s Pool hours and the Splash Park hours. However, after Labor Day weekend, the waterfront activities are not available until Memorial Day weekend.
- Business District: A limited number of shops, restaurants, services and bed & breakfasts/guest houses are open on fall weekends until the Lakeside-Marblehead Lighthouse Festival. The only year-round businesses (with limited hours) include Marilyn’s, Marilyn’s Two, Sloopy’s Sports Café and the Lakeside Laundromat.
- Connect with Lakeside Year-Round: Stay up-to-date on the latest news and pictures at Lakeside Chautauqua. Sign up to receive our monthly e-newsletter, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Homeowners Announcements: Lakeside homeowners and Campground residents are encouraged to check the Homeowners & Campground Updates page on our website throughout the year. During the off-season, we include information about gates, our House Watch program, trash and recycling services, and leaf pick-up schedules.
We invite you to take some time this fall, winter and spring to visit Lakeside and explore the many events offered during the off-season.
- Orchestra Hall Movies: Movies are shown on weekends through October. For upcoming movies and show times, visit http://www.lakesideohio.com/arts/movies.
- Lakeside-Marblehead Lighthouse Festival: This festival is a cherished fall tradition held from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. the second Saturday in October each year. Activities are available throughout Lakeside Chautauqua and the Marblehead Peninsula. Check out the schedule of events for the 2014 Lakeside-Marblehead Lighthouse Festival.
- Stein Hospice 5k Run/Walk: This year, Lakesiders are invited to participate in Stein Hospice’s 5k run/walk in honor of Lakesider Patricia King Munn at 9:30 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 12 in front of the Lakeside Chautauqua Administration Office. Register online. Pre-registration is $20 and same-day registration on Sunday, Oct. 12 will be $25.
- Ohio State University (OSU) Marching Band Concert: This fall, the OSU Marching Band will perform a ‘sit down’ concert at 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 7 in Hoover Auditorium. Tickets are $10 each and available at www.osumbinottawacounty.com. Tickets will also be sold at Bassett’s Market in Port Clinton, Ohio and Mutach’s Market in Marblehead, Ohio starting Monday, Oct. 6.
- #GivingTuesday: This national day of giving, on Tuesday, Dec. 2, 2014, is the official start of the holiday giving season. Hot on the heels of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday is a chance for people to give back by making a donation to their favorite non-profits. Check our #GivingTuesday page over the next few weeks to see how you can join the movement.
- Lakeside Community Christmas Dinner: You and your family are invited to attend this annual event, which will take place on Saturday, Dec. 6 in Wesley Lodge this year. The evening will include a punch reception and visit from Santa Claus at 5:30 p.m., dinner buffet at 6:15 p.m. and live entertainment at 6:45 p.m.
- Monthly Community Potlucks: Lakeside host Monthly Community Potlucks from January-May during the off-season. Mark your calendars for the third Thursday of every month, and join fellow Lakesiders in Wesley Lodge for a lunch event filled with good food and fellowship.
- Calendar of Events Brochure: Start planning your Lakeside summer vacation, and join our Calendar of Events mailing list. Simply email your name and home address to email@example.com. Our annual brochure is free!
- Book Your Cottage Rental: Lakeside Chautauqua Realty, the community’s largest cottage rental provider, will begin taking reservations in early-February. Check www.lakesideohio.com/accommodations to view availability and pictures of each cottage rental.
- Spring Cleanup Day: In April, many Lakesiders return to volunteer their time to help beautify the Chautauqua grounds at the Annual Spring Cleanup Day. These special volunteers help prepare the grounds and several facilities for the upcoming summer season.
- Mother’s Day Brunch: Lakeside hosts a Mother’s Day Brunch each May in the Hotel Lakeside Dining Room & Café. A buffet-style menu is prepared to celebrate the special occasion. Check www.lakesideohio.com/calendar for details closer to the event.
- Planning a Wedding or Family Reunion: Lakeside Chautauqua has long been a special destination for groups to gather for weddings, family reunions, youth retreats, conferences, girlfriend getaways and business meetings. Plan a memorable gathering at Lakeside any time of year.
- Volunteering: Do you like to volunteer? Lakeside Chautauqua offers several volunteer opportunities throughout the calendar year. Volunteers are needed at special events during the off-season, including the Lakeside-Marblehead Lighthouse Festival, Community Christmas Dinner and Spring Cleanup Day. Or if you like to write, consider volunteering as a guest blogger.
These are just a few of the many ways to spend time with family and friends during the off-season at Lakeside. How do you spend time at Lakeside during the fall, winter and spring months? Do you plan a visit back to Lakeside to attend any of our upcoming events? Tell us in the comments below.