Be true to the Red White and Blue on Fourth of July with this Star Spangled Shortcake.
This shortcake recipe makes a sweetened, southern biscuit style dough that is quick and easy to make. It bakes to a golden brown quickly and cuts into star shapes easily.
A single bite of this cake is like a fork-full summer. Both delicious and beautiful, this cake will make a real bang at your Independence Day celebration.
Star Spangled Shortcake
Recipe by Chef Stacy Maple
Yields 6-8 servings
Short Cake Ingredients
- 2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 TB Sugar, divided
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Cold Butter
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Cup Whipped Topping
- 2 Cup Fresh Strawberries, sliced
- 1 Cup Blue Berries or Black Berries
- Crystal or Sanding Sugar for Garnish
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 TB Sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse, pea sized crumbs. Gradually stir in milk until a soft dough forms.
- On floured work bench, roll or press out dough until is 1/2” thick.
- Dip star shaped cookie cutter in flour and then cut out star shapes until all dough is used. Using spatula, carefully lift star shaped cakes on to a lightly greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- To assemble Star Spangled Short Cake, arrange fresh berries on round serving platter. Very deliberately, arrange star cakes in ring shape on top of berries. Once satisfied with shape and placement of cakes, put small amount of whipped topping under each cake to secure it in place. Sprinkle berries with sugar for garnish. Serve immediately.
Chef Stacy Maple studied at Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts, where she graduated Phi Beta Kappa. She then went on to the French Culinary Institute in New York City to study Food Styling. This exemplary training along with 25 years of culinary and hospitality experience has given her hands-on, working knowledge of every phase of the industry from the front of the house to the back.
Chef Stacy’s owns and operates a bed and breakfast, coffee shop and a slow-food café, in addition to her current culinary service, Chef Stacy Maple LLC.
Learn more about Chef Stacy at www.chefstacymaple.com.