More than 235 Lakesiders participated in a Community Forum held over Labor Day weekend. The objective of the forum was to update Lakesiders on our master planning efforts and to share what we’ve heard throughout this process. If you were unable to attend the forum, an audio recording and the PowerPoint presentation have been uploaded to the website for your convenience.
This summer, the community united to help develop a master plan and identify areas of support. Several touchpoints were made to collect your feedback, including face-to-face interviews, focus groups, surveys, dessert receptions with the President/CEO, “State of Lakeside” Address presentation, website updates, e-newsletters, social media and blog postings, Lakeside Property Owners Association meetings, guest surveys and community forums.
We will continue to learn, evolve and use each of these different communication channels to gain perspective, insight and ideas from the community.
We’ve learned many lessons this summer and hope that we’ve demonstrated our commitment to you with an open and meaningful dialogue. The following short-term priorities and next steps were identified:
- Hotel Lakeside will be sustained through a “no regrets” strategy. A “no regrets” investment strategy will be developed in a phased approach over the next 3-5 years. The strategy includes a new roof, complete foundation work, sealing the exterior, kitchen improvements, lobby restroom upgrades and extension of the elevator life. This work will be funded through the operating budget.
- The endowment is vital. We need to educate the community on how the endowment works, how the community can support it and how it benefits Lakeside
- The community affirms the four Chautauqua pillars (religion, education, cultural arts and recreation). There is a strong belief that the Chautauqua program is important to preserve and grow. There is also solid support across each pillar and for Lakeside’s mission.
- Lakeside will launch an initiative to raise funds on #GivingTuesday in support of teen programming. The community voiced that teen programming, for ages 13-17, should be reviewed and enhanced. With your support on #GivingTuesday (December 1, 2015), we can enrich the programming and designate a specific space for teens. Stay tuned for more details on how you can participate in #GivingTuesday.
- There is overwhelming support and an identified need for a community pool and wellness programming. A taskforce will be identified to complete due diligence related to the construction, operation and maintenance of a community pool and establish a more comprehensive wellness and fitness program. Assisting the taskforce will be other interested Lakesiders who will collectively become part of an electronic focus group, or E-Focus Group. This group is responsible for supporting the taskforce by responding to concept ideas, suggesting others and helping us refine a vision for a community pool and wellness program. If subcommittees or fundraising teams are formed as part of the due diligence effort, we would draw from the E-Focus Group for assistance. A clipboard was passed around the forum to collect interested Lakesiders information. If you’re interested in being on the taskforce or the E-Focus Group, contact email@example.com and sign up to receive special communications about planning for Lakeside’s future.
- The master planning next steps are important. Hotel Lakeside will receive necessary upgrades through a phased approach. There will be more emphasis placed on the endowment. We will continue to dive deeper into the Chautauqua program needs. An aggressive timeline to complete due diligence for a community pool and wellness program will be in progress. Other infrastructure needs will be identified along the way. Most importantly, the community’s input will be prioritized.
It’s not about change. It’s about improvement – improvement of the programs, infrastructure, beautiful grounds and historic buildings. This is a process and it’s a continuum.
Part of the Chautauqua spirit is to be a good listener and to have a meaningful dialogue. Thank you for your valuable feedback this summer and in the coming years as we develop our master plan. Every voice matters!