Tired of boring, bland salads? Kick off your summer with this refreshing twist using fresh ingredients and a light balsamic vinegar topping. This delicious, simple salad is ideal for a quick lunch or even a hearty dinner.
You can buy fresh ingredients for this salad at Lakeside’s Farmers’ Market, which is held from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays from June 21-September 2.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- ½ pound large, white mushrooms, halved
- ½ pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 red onion, cut into 1⁄2-inch-thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 pound skirt steak, cut crosswise into 4 pieces
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch watercress, thick stems removed (about 4 cups)
- Heat grill to medium-high. In a large bowl, toss the mushrooms, green beans, onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Grill the vegetables (place the beans perpendicular to the grates to keep them from falling through), turning occasionally, removing them as they become tender, 8-12
- Meanwhile, season the steak with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Grill alongside the vegetables, brushing occasionally with 2 tablespoons vinegar, 3-5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Divide the watercress, grilled vegetables and steak among bowls. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons vinegar. Enjoy!
Let us know how your salad tastes in the comments below! What other summer salads does your family share while visiting Lakeside?