With Fourth of July on the horizon, show your patriotic spirit with a classic strawberry pie.
This delectable desert is a staple at any summer picnic. Also, it’s easy to make and ingredients, such as fresh strawberries, can be found at be found at our Farmers’ Market from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. every Tuesday and Friday this summer.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 1 quart of fresh strawberries
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- ¾ cup of water
- ½ cup of heavy whip cream
- Arrange half of strawberries in baked pastry shell. Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
- In a small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Serve each slice of pie with a dollop of whipped cream.
Enjoy! Do you have a summer staple that you serve at family picnics? Let us know in the comments below!