This fresh entrée is perfect for any family dinner or backyard get-together with friends. The basil butter is the star of the dish, seasoning the pork and adding a rich flavor to the roasted squash. Most of the ingredients needed for this meal can be purchased at the Farmers’ Market right here in Lakeside.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 pounds mixed summer squash, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded & chopped
- 4 frenched pork loin chops (3/4-inch-thick)
- Stir together first three ingredients, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Cover and chill basil-butter mixture until ready to use (up to 48 hours).
- Preheat broiler with oven rack five inches from heat. Toss together squash, the next two ingredients, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Spread mixture in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan and broil 10 -12 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring every five minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl, and stir in 2 tablespoons of basil-butter mixture. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Sprinkle chops with remaining salt and pepper, and place on a wire rack in an aluminum foil-lined jelly-roll pan. Top each chop with a heaping tablespoon of basil-butter mixture. Broil 8-10 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 155°. Let stand five minutes before serving. Serve pork chops with squash mixture. Enjoy!