Chicken is great for a quick, simple entrée, but it can be easy to get stuck in a rut with this protein. Try this refreshing twist using fresh ingredients like lime and other spices to give your dinner a spicy kick. We’ve also added a sweet dessert recipe to round out the meal.
Shop our Farmers’ Market, open from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays in the summer, to pick up ingredients for this delicious dinner and dessert.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and parsley. Sprinkle spice mixture generously on both sides of chicken breasts.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Sauté chicken until golden brown, about six minutes on each side.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 2 teaspoons garlic powder and lime juice. Cook five minutes, stirring frequently to coat evenly with sauce.
To balance out the spice from the chicken, here’s a sweet and tart dessert featuring fresh blueberries. Blueberries are full of antioxidants and have many positive effects like a strengthened immune system.
Like the ingredients for the main course, these can also be found at the Farmers’ Market here at Lakeside.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- flour for the work surface
- 1 8-ounce sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup of heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups blueberries
- Pre-heat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, unfold the sheet of pastry and roll it into a 10-by-12-inch rectangle. Transfer to wax paper and use as a baking sheet.
- Using the tip of a knife, score a 1-inch border around the pastry without cutting all the way through. Brush the border with the egg and sprinkle with the granulated sugar. Bake until golden and puffed, 18-22 minutes.
- Using the tip of a knife, rescore the border of the cooked pastry without cutting all the way through. Gently press down on the center of the pastry sheet to flatten it. Let cool to room temperature, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the heavy cream, lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of the confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly within the borders of the pastry.
- Arrange the blueberries in a single layer over the filling, and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of confectioners’ sugar.