25. Laugh & Play in Central Park – There is never a dull moment in Lakeside’s Central Park. Watch your children play at Grindley Playground, spend an afternoon playing miniature golf, learn to play shuffleboard, compete in a sand volleyball match, dribble down the basketball courts, plan a picnic in the park or take a stroll along the waterfront. The possibilities are endless.
24. Become a Dock Potato & Enjoy the Sunshine – Whether you want to take a walk along Lakeside Chautauqua’s 700-foot dock or pick a spot to curl up and read a good book… becoming a Lakeside “Dock Potato” is a must for enjoying the sunshine.
23. Reflect & Renew at Chautauqua Park – As one of the newest additions to the Lakeside grounds, Chautauqua Park offers guests of all ages the opportunity to reflect and renew at the memorial garden, while enjoying the beauty of nature on the Nature/Walking Trail.
22. Eat Healthy at the Farmers’ Market – Every Tuesday and Friday from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. you’re invited to the Farmers’ Market, located on Walnut Avenue between Second and Third Street. Bite into some delicious homemade pies and dips or shop for fresh fruits and vegetables for tonight’s dinner.
21. Play Tennis on the Clay Courts – If you’re an avid tennis player, you need to pay a visit to the Williams Tennis Campus. It’s home to 10 courts of three uniquely different surfaces—three fast drying HarTru courts, two natural clay courts and two hard courts. Take lessons, join a round robin or join us for donuts in the morning.
20. Give Back – The signature Chautauqua experience, beautiful grounds and historic preservation of Lakeside’s many structures are made possible through the philanthropic support and volunteer hours at events from generous Lakeside families, friends and corporations year in and year out… Will you give back this year?
19. Get a Taste of Lakeside – Did you know there are 8 different restaurants in Lakeside? Take a stroll through Lakeside’s Downtown Business District to see what tingles your taste buds.
18. Walk Ohio’s Most Beautiful Mile – Get up and get active while enjoying some time by Lake Erie along Ohio’s Most Beautiful Mile. It’s the perfect place to enjoy a morning run, snap a few photos of blooming flowers and the neighboring islands, or relax on a bench and watch the sunset with family.
17. Test Your Sea Legs – Rent a kayak, paddle board or sailboat to sail the open Lake Erie waters to enjoy the beautiful Lakeside Chautauqua shoreline from a new perspective. Whether sailing on your own or paddling with a partner, boat rentals offer a unique water experience for anyone.
16. Let Your Children’s Imagination Run Free – Lakeside is a place for guests of all ages, especially for kids. Spend an afternoon taking a Rhein Center class, sign-up for a sailing lesson, play a family-friendly game of tennis or shuffleboard, have a picnic in Perry Park, watch a different Hoover show every night of the week or just enjoy eating lots of ice cream.
15. Go Wild at Wednesday Family Picnics – Every Wednesday evening during the summer, Perry Park is the place to be. Join fellow Lakesiders for fellowship, games, music and an evening picnic. Enjoy all this for the suggested donation of $3.
14. Buy Souvenirs to Remember Your Family Vacation – Bring home a piece of Lakeside with souvenirs such as T-shirts, hats, picture frames, Lakeside signs and more when you shop at any one of Lakeside’s Downtown Business District’s 12 shops.
- Compete in a Shuffleboard Tournament – Throughout the summer season, the Lakeside Shuffleboard Courts host approximately 13 tournaments. Lakesiders of all ages are invited to participate in one or several tournaments this summer, and show off your shuffleboard talents.
12. Indulge in Lots of Ice Cream – Did you know there are several different spots around Lakeside to indulge your sweet tooth? Stop by Coffee & Cream for a delicious soft serve ice cream cone. Jump in line at the Patio Restaurant to get a taste of some Toft’s Ice Cream, a local favorite. Head on down to the Whistle Stop for a big scoop of some classic ice cream flavors. Catch a dock runner for a tasteful scoop of ice cream from Dockside as you enjoy it on the water.
- Attend a Special Community Event – Explore Lakeside’s Calendar of Events Brochure to plan a trip to some of our exciting annual events, including the Lakeside Photography Show, the Katharine C. Crampton Memorial Art Show, the Light Up Lakeside Celebration or the Lakeside Wooden Boat Show & Plein Air Art Festival and many more!
10. Enlighten the Mind – Throughout the 11-week Chautauqua season, Lakesiders (like you) are invited to attend more than 100 different lectures covering 16 various topics, including World War II, C.S. Lewis, Seeking Peace in a Multi-Faith World, Health & Medicine, Annual Civil War Week and more. They are all a part of our Chautauqua Lecture Series.
9. Capture Precise Memories – Everyone has a Lakeside story, and no two stories are alike. Year after year, summer after summer, countless families spend time dipping their toes into all Lakeside Chautauqua has to offer, while creating memories that last a lifetime. What’s your Lakeside Story?
8. Cool Off at the Splash Park – If you’re a kid, ages 2-10, put on your swimsuit, grab a towel and head down to Lakeside’s Splash Park. It’s the perfect place for the kids to laugh and play together on a hot summer afternoon.
7. Unleash You Creativity at the Rhein Center – The C. Kirk Rhein, Jr., Center for the Living Arts provides classes in fine arts, practical arts and creative crafts for students of all ages. Each week, a unique combination of classes and volunteer instructors provide enrichment in areas such as glass, pottery, literature, dance, painting, music, photography, fiber arts, paper crafts and more.
- Embrace Your Faith – Whether you’re looking forward to the Preacher of the Week, attending the Hoover Community Worship Service every Sunday morning, taking part in Vespers by the Lake or encouraging your children to participate in children’s ministries, Lakeside offers so many opportunities for you to embrace your faith this summer.
5. Let Loose at a Hoover Auditorium Show – During the summer season, the Hoover Auditorium stage lights up with performers from different genres of music, theatre, dance, magic, acting and more. Which Hoover performance are you looking forward to this summer?
4. Witness a Lakeside Sunrise & Sunset – If you haven’t had the opportunity to sit, relax and enjoy watching the sun rise or set over the dock… this summer is the time to do it. It showcases the most dramatic view of Lake Erie where water, islands, skies and stars collide in a masterpiece of nature. You really have to see it to believe it.
3. Relax & Reconnect – How do you relax and reconnect? Whether you sit on your favorite bench and drink your morning coffee, go for a morning run along the lakefront path, take a Rhein Center class with your grandchildren, participate in a lecture or attend the Hoover Community Worship Service as a family every Sunday morning… Lakeside offers each of you the chance to relax and reconnect.
2. Explore our Chautauqua Community – This summer, let Lakeside Chautauqua be your home away from home. Bring your family and rent a cottage for the week; spend some time relaxing on the dock; walk along Ohio’s Most Beautiful Mile; attend a lecture series; sing along at Hoover show; or reflect at the Memorial Garden in Chautauqua. Where will you spend the summer exploring?
1. Share Lakeside with Family & Friends – Is this your first time to Lakeside or does your family come back year after year? No matter what your Lakeside story is, we love to hear it… and so do others. Share your summer memories with family, friends, co-workers and Lakesiders. After all, that’s the best way to help others families and groups have a summer like yours.
Now, it’s your turn to join The Front Porch conversation! What Lakeside events or traditions would make your top 25 list? What are you looking forward to most at Lakeside this summer? What part of your Lakeside experience will you pass along to family and friends? Share your thoughts with us in the comment below.